Karkkadu Maasu is the last month of our HIndu Almanac . The rapid climatic change and downpours bring with it a lot of epidemics and deadly diseases . To protect themselves from this adverse situations – our elders had followed strict diets to keep themselves fit & healthy . They also had special dishes during this time – one being Methiye pejj – the recipe of which you can find here , Here is another nutritious recipe of Methiye Oondos – provided by my FB friend Anasuya V Prabhu . This is a very simple and a sweet one so that all family members will enjoy .So here is the recipe :-
- 4 handfuls of Matta rice / Kerala rice
- 1 handful of methi seeds
- 1/2 cup of Jaggery grated
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- Spread out the rice & methi on a cloth to dry for some time until they have lost their moisture
- Keeping a pan on medium flame roast the rice & methi.
- Roast the rice & methi till they pop and have become crisp .
- Set aside to cool and then grind to a smooth powder in a mixer .
- In a pan add about 2 tablespoons of water and the jaggery . Heat it till it melts and thickens slightly .
- Add the grated coconut and mix well .
- Switch off flame .Now add the powdered rice & methi and mix thoroughly .
- Now this is ready to be made into oondos.
- If you want you can add a spoon of ghee . Make oondos of the mixture .
- You can adjust the amount of jaggery & coconut according to your tastes . Still a little bitterness of the methi should be there to enhance the flavour .
Enjoy this delicious oondo to stay fit & healthy !