Tomata saaru ( as an accompaniment with idlis)
Idli and saaru ( rasam ) was the hit combo at my home. A large container filled with simple watery rasam was the cynosure on idli days. Pour hot rasam in idlies, wait for a few minutes letting the idlies soak in rasam and then simply enjoy this heavenly combo.Here is the recipe for this – so that you too can enjoy this heaven .
- Tomato – 3 large ones
- Green chillies – 4 to 5
- Tamarind – a marble sized
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 3 to 4
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil – 2 to 3 tsp for tempering
- Salt to taste
- Cut the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Add around 2-3 glasses of water to it in a vessel.
- Add slit green chillies and the tamarind..
- Add salt..
- Let it boil vigorously till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Switch off stove
- Prepare the tempering and pour it over the saaru.
- Enjoy with idlis.