We all love having fried items… specially when it is pouring outside…don’t we?.Rains and bajos ( pakodas) compliment each other well and the most popular among the pakodas is the one with onions which we know as “piyava bajo” … or kanda bhajis as it is famously known all over the country.Me too made some last week on demand by my family when it was pouring heavily.The bajos with some cardamom flavored tea made the evening more beautiful.so why delay? .. I am sharing the recipe here so that all can enjoy and indulge.
- 8-10 medium sized onions
- A tbsp of chili powder or as required
- A tsp of crushed coriander seeds
- A handful of curry leaves
- 10-12 cashew nuts cut into bits (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Besan (gram flour) as required
- A tbsp or two of rice flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Chop the onions thinly lengthwise.
- Sprinkle salt and chili powder and toss well and set aside for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes the onions would have let out moisture and shrink ed.
- Add the crushed coriander seeds, curry leaves hand torn, cashew nut bits, and give a mix.
- Keep adding besan and mix well with hands slightly squeezing until you form a quite thick pakoda batter.The moisture which had oozed out will help in mixing.Add rice flour and check for salt and spiciness and add more if required.
- Pinch small portions and drop in medium hot oil and deep fry until crisp and golden brown.
- Remove on a absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
Serve hot as a snack along with some tea or coffee
- I have used 8 onions.
- You can also add finely chopped green chilies to make it more spicy.
- I have not added a single drop of water as the moisture from onions was enough to bind.
- If due to some reason you feel the batter is too thick and there is no enough moisture you can sprinkle some water as too thick batter may result in hard pakodas.
- The pakodas should be crisp outside and soft in the inside with the onion to bite into.
- I love to fry it a bit more than other bajos I make as I love to have the onions a bit crispy and caramelized like while biting into.Also this helps in keeping it crispier for a long time.