Bhakris are thick varieties of dosa.They are usually spread out with hands on the tava unlike the normal dosas which are spread onto tavas using ladle.There are already few versions of bhakris in the blog under the ” breakfast ” archive.Today I am sharing one more easy version using rava and cucumbers.This version is usually made on the days when we avoid rice and are fasting.Do try this next time when you need to avoid rice or any day for breakfast.
- 1 cup of rava (also known as upma rava or bombay rava)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 green chillies minced
- 2-3 tbsp of coconut
- A small piece of ginger grated
- A tsp or two of sugar
- Oil as required
- 1 tender cucumber peeled and grated
- In a wide bowl. mix rava, grated cucumbers, minced chillies, sugar, salt, coconut, grated ginger using milk. add water to adjust the consistency .
- Using your hands take a handful of the batter and spread it on the tava as shown above. Use fingers to flatten it. Need not be too thin.
- Roast on both sides using oil until nice golden brown base.
- The bhakris are ready to be served topped with blob of butter and some pickle if preferred.
- Use tender cucumber – if the cucumbers have seeds do remove the pith and seed before grating.
- The cucumber used in this recipe is the huge local one which is generally too tasty and aromatic.
- The consistency should be thick but not too dry .
- You can also coarsely grind coconut, ginger and chillies and add to the rava cucumber mix.