We have already learnt a chakko recipe in this blog prepared with Kadgi (Raw Jackfruit) which is a seasonal veggie.Similarly we can prepare chakko with Lady’s finger (bhenda) too.This is a side dish had with rice.Lets check the recipe
- Lady’s finger – 15 to 20 nos
- Coconut – grated 1 cup
- Red chillies – roasted in oil – 8-10 nos
- Tamarind – marble size
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Methi – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash the lady’s finger and pat dry with a clean cloth.Trim both the edges and cut into 1 inch pieces and keep aside.
- Grate coconut,roast red chillies with a drop of oil,also fry urad dal and coriander seeds in a tsp of oil,both separately.
- In a mixer jar first add coconut,red chillies,coriander seeds,tamarind and little water and grind to a coarse paste.Before taking out the masala add the roasted urad dal and grind further for 5 seconds.Remove the masala in a bowl.Add a little water to the mixer and keep this water separately.
- In a kadai heat oil and splutter mustard,methi and curry leaves in it.
Add the chopped lady’s finger and saute for a while,also put the ground masala and the water used to wash the mixer.Add salt mix well.
Close lid ,cook till the bhend is soft and water is evaporated, curry is dry and bhend is coated with the masala.Switch off the gas.
Serve it as a side dish with rice.