Taak is buttermilk in Konkani .Buttermilk is used in various dishes in our cuisine apart from having it as such as an appetizing drink at the end of a meal. Some even have “takka sheeth “meaning buttermilk with rice and a meal is said to be incomplete without it. We do prepare flavoured buttermilk too on various occasions like weddings,get togethers etc to be had after a heavy meal.The version I am sharing today is the one which is common at our home specially in summers or after a special festive meal.This is a healthy drink with various herbs and can be had anytime of the day in summers.
- 4 glasses of buttermilk
- 2 green chillies
- A small piece of ginger
- A few sprigs of coriander leaves
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Grind the chillies,ginger coriander leaves and curry leaves coarsely in a mixer adding a bit of water or some butter milk.
- Add this coarse paste in to a wide vessel or jug
- Add buttermilk and salt,some water if required to adjust the consistency and mix well.
Chill for a while before serving or serve as such .Tastes delicious both ways
- Adjust the chillies as per your spice preference
- All the ingredients mentioned above can be adjusted as per their requirement.
- Thick yoghurt can be diluted and used in place of buttermilk.
- You can also add cumin seeds or Hing OR both in place of ginger.