Saaru is a thin watery based accompaniment to rice.We prepare varieties of saaru using simple ingredients – many of them already documented in this blog by me and my co author friends. Today sharing one more tasty and healthy saaru using curry leaves other than the basic ingredients. Curry leaves has numerous health benefits and it is recommended highly to be included in our diet. Give this saaru a try which is easy and healthy at the same time.
- A handful of curry leaves washed
- 2 tbsp. of grated coconut
- Marble sized tamarind
- 1 large tomato chopped
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves few sprigs
- Sprig of curry leaf
- Oil as required
- A tsp of jaggery(optional)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Roast together :-
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp toor dal
- A tsp of zeera
- 6-8 pepper corns
- Generous pinch of hing
- 2-3 red chillies
- Roast coconut with the curry leaves until it gives out a nice aroma and the curry leaves wilt.
- Roast ingredients listed above in the same pan until the dal turns light golden and the seeds splutter.
- Remove to a plate and allow to cool.
- Once cool, transfer to a mixer jar and grind to a smooth paste along with tamarind using water as required.
- Remove this ground paste to a wide pan or vessel…dilute to get desired consistency adding water as required.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, jaggery and boil well for 5-8 minutes,
7. Just before switching off add the coriander leaves and switch off just after a boil.,,
8. Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves and close the lid so that the flavours blend well.
The tasty and healthy saaru is ready to be served with rice.