Purple yam is mentioned as Kon by mangalorean Konkanis and Kachil by in and Kochi side konkanis. It is a tuberous root vegetable,with uneven shape.They are usually in vivid violet to bright lavender colour and also in plain white colour. It has antioxidants which prevent diseases and controls Blood pressure to within normal range.
This is a seasonal veggie and we prepare a simple and tasty stir fry with this which is usually had as a evening snack.It is usually served dry but my family prefer to eat it with a little gravy along with plain beaten rice (poha).You can find another recipe by a co blogger,prepared with the same vegetable in this blog.
Here is the recipe.
- Purple Yam – 2 cups ( chopped )
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 3- 4 nos
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Jaggery – 1 tsp Powdered
- Coconut – 1 tbsp grated
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Remove the skin of the yam and chop into medium size pieces.
- Wash them and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil,add urad dal and mustard.when the mustard starts to crackle and the urad changes its colour add curry leaves,red chillies broken into pieces and hing.
- Drop the chopped yam pieces and mix well.Add salt to taste and 1/2 cup water.
- Close lid and cook till the yam is soft.(it cooks fast).
- Add powdered jaggery and grated coconut . Now cook for 2 more minutes
- Do not over cook as it will turn mushy.
- Serve dry or retain the water and serve with it.
Serve hot with a cup of coffee/Tea.