I have already posted many phodis ..both tava fried and deep fried versions in the blog.There are few versions from my friends and co bloggers too which can be found in the Archives.Today sharing a unique one ..unique not in the procedure but unique as am using tender raw bananas. Earlier when most of them had plaintains in their backyard and the plant would unfortunately get uprooted due to heavy strong winds or rains…the tender bananas which lay around would be used in this way. My friend and co blogger Priya has posted a stir fry using the same.Even now this is not uncommon in small towns and villages but for us who live in cities its kind of exotic.I recently found the tiny tender bananas with my vegetable vendor and I was excited to try this as I was having this almost after a decade.
I have not gone into the details as the procedure remains same as that of my previous deep fried phodis with phodi masolu i.e ground batter ..our traditional method used during get togethers and functions.You can see the detailed recipe and other veggies to be used Here .
- 6-8 tender raw bananas
- 1/2 cup rice
- 7-8 red chillies
- Generous pinch of hing
- Marble sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Peel the raw bananas and immerse them in water ..wash well and drain.
- Crush them lightly so that they flatten a bit.
- Drop these into a bowl full of water with a pinch salt so that they don’t turn black.
- Grind soaked rice,chillies,tamarind, hing and salt to not so fine a paste using little water.
- Marinate the crushed bananas with the ground paste and keep aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and once hot enough..turn the flame to medium high and drop the marinated bananas .
7. Fry till they turn out a nice red and crisp flipping once or twice in between.
8. Remove on to a paper napkin to remove excess oil.Notes:-
- Use as much paste as required and store the leftover in the freezer compartment.Can be used after a month too..just thaw it at least an hour or two before using.
- Check salt and add if required during marination.
- Be careful while crushing the bananas…if you dont want to crush just slice them into two and proceed.
- The chillies are not roasted.