Pickles are always the demanding ones at every household.We are sure about the quality and hygiene when they are prepared at home.
Kanchi is nothing but lemons that have been pickled in salt and their juice with other ingredients like ginger and green chillies and are kept for a period of time.During this process the lemon loses its bitterness and becomes soft.These preserved lemons taste awesome and delight your taste buds especially when a person has low appetite or are sick.This is normally served with gruel/rice /porridge.
One of our member/friend Vidya Shenoy gave me big size lemons grown at her home.I pickled them and thought to share the same with you all,hoping that It will be useful for those who are not aware of the pickling process. Please check the notes section given below.
- Lemon – 8-10 (depends upon the size – I used 2 big lemons)
- Green chillies – 6-8 nos
- Chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Peppercorns – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp(optional, I have not used)
Wash and pat dry the lemons.Chop them into big chunks.(Cut 6-8 pieces from a medium size lemon) Keep aside.
In a pan add the salt and water,boil until the salt is completely dissolved.Keep this aside to cool.(Do not close with a lid during this cooling process)
In a clean plate mix together chopped lemons, green chillies, ginger and pepper corns.
Now,put these inside a dried,cleaned and sterilized glass bottle.
Now pour the cooled salt water till it reaches the brim.Close tightly with the lid and keep aside for about 25 to 30 days for the lemons to turn soft and a gel like consistency is formed.
Serve with rice porridge/gruel,curd rice.
- Always sterilize the jars by washing and sun drying them to use for pickling the veggies.
- Keep it clean without any moisture.
- Use the lemon juice spilled while cutting the lemons.In addition can use juice of 2-5 lemons also.
- Leave one inch of space between the top of the fruit and lid of the jar as it should not touch the lid of the jar.
- If the lid of the jar is metal,we dont want the salt water to corrode it.
- Ensure the lid is sealed tightly and let the bottle sit in a dark cool place.
- Every day or alternative days shake them over a few times to mix thing up.
- Container and the spoons used should always be dry.
- After a month they turn completely into a gel like liquid,now it is ready for use.