Mulangi / Radish is a vegetable that is avoided more than being eaten but my amma used to prepare various dishes using this veggie knowing its health benefits. I have already posted Ambat and Tava fries and today sharing one more recipe bhutti using radish. Again you can find bhutti prepared with other veggies like onion, bitter gourd ,ivy gourd ,cabbage etc in Archives of our blog.Do try all the variations and enjoy.Now let’s see the recipe of mulangi bhutti.
- 1/4 th kg of fresh tender radish with its leaves
- 3/4 th to 1 cup of coconut
- 4-5 red chillies roasted
- A tsp of coriander seeds
- Marble size tamarind
- 2 onions chopped
- Oil as required
- Salt to taste
- Wash the radish and the leaves ..peel the radish and chop them into small cubes along with its leaves
- Heat oil and add the chopped onions and fry for a while..take care not to brown them..once the raw smell disappears,add the chopped radish and the leaves and mix well…sprinkle some water and close the lid and allow it to cook.
- Mean while grind coconut with chillies, coriander( do not roast) , tamarind to not so smooth paste using as little water as possible.
- Once the radish is cooked ,add the ground paste ,salt and mix well..simmer it for 5-8 minutes stirring in between to avoid burning.
Here’s a collage to show the various stages
The delicious radish bhutti is ready to serve as a side dish .
- The radish and the leaves should be tender ..discard the ripened or yellow leaves.
- The curry is usually dry so add water carefully while grinding.
- Do NOT roast the coriander seeds while grinding.
- If you feel the curry is too dry ,,can sprinkle some water while stirring but take care to just sprinkle and not pour.