We have already documented various upkari recipes in this blog..today sharing one more simple upkari i.e stir fry using bhenda i.e lady’s finger. Upkari is used as a side dish and is very easy and quick to make.For other varieties of upkari check our Archives.
- 1/4th kg of tender bhenda (lady’sfinger / okra)
- A tbsp or two of oil
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- 2 red chillies
- Sprig of curry leaves
- A pinch asafoetida (hing)
- A pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp of coconut
- Wash the lady’s finger and wipe them dry using a cloth or paper towel and keep them aside for few minutes until they are dry.
- Trim the edges and cut them into medium thick roundels.
- Heat oil in a pan / Kadhai , once hot enough simmer the flame and add mustard seeds, once they splutter add curry leaves, and red chillies … then hing and haldi .
- Now add the chopped veggie and mix well ..close the lid for few minutes (around 3-4).
- Open the lid after 3-4 minutes and add salt and let it cook ..do not close with lid at this stage. Keep stirring in between to avoid burning.
- When they are almost done add coconut ..at this stage check for salt and add if required.
- Cook till it is done completely and switch off the flame.
The delicious and healthy bhenda Upkari is ready
- Make sure the lady’s finger are completely dry before chopping or else they turn very sticky and also make it difficult to chop.
- The cooking time depends upon the thickness of veggie ..so chop accordingly.
- Adding haldi and hing is optional but I recommend adding it due to its health benefits and also for the taste and aroma.
- Do not cook bhindi with closed lid as it turns very sticky.. I prefer the method as mentioned above ..if you are comfortable with any other method do as per your preference and comfort.
- Do not add a single drop of water .