Pickles are very much in demand at home ! So I try to make all varieties as & when each ingredient is available in each season . The other day I got some fresh Bimbuls/ birmi karmbals / Bilimbi.(known as tree Sorrel in English ) Since I already had a stock of thorros / puddigalle ..I decided to make this nonche . This is a great combo with breakfast dishes like idlli, polos etc and also with rice . So let’s see the recipe –
- Bimbul/ birmi karmbal- 1 cup ( washed , dried and chopped medium sized )
- Red Chillies – 10 -12 as per your spice levels
- Mustard – 2 tsp
- Hing – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2 -3
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Sesame / gingelly /til oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash the fresh bimbuls , pat them dry with a cloth and chop them into medium sized roundels
- Apply salt and keep overnight in a glass bottle . Next day remove the pieces into a dry vessel & keep the water it had let out ,
- Add the chillies and mustard in a mixer jar and grind .
- Add the drained water only that you had kept aside and grind to a fine paste .DO NOT use plain water to grind .
- Add the paste to the bimbuls
- Add enough boiled and cooled water to get a thick consistency . Add the hing & salt ( if required only).
- Heat the oil and add the finely chopped green chillies and ginger and saute
- When cool add the tempering , Transfer the nonche to a sun dried bottle .
Refrigerate for a longer shelf life .
You can start using immediately but tastes best after a day .
- Use only glass bottles to store this ,,DO NOT use plastic ones .
- As always use a dry spoon to serve .