Who doesn’t love Mangoes ..the King of fruits.We all eagerly wait for the summer season to enjoy the fruit and also the delicacies made from it. There are many dishes in our Konkani cuisine using ripe mangoes which are had as side dishes along with meals and have already been shared in the blog.Today I am here with one more delicious recipe from wild ripe mangoes also called as ” gointa Ambos ” .This version is from the GSB community of North Canara .Do try this recipe whenever you have some over ripe local variety/ home grown mangoes and enjoy this delicious and finger licking recipe.
- Ripe local variety mangoes – 4 to 5 OR as required
- Jaggery as per taste
- 3-4 red chillies ( Do NOT roast )
- Salt to taste
- A tsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- Tamarind – a small marble size
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- Wash the mangoes well and peel the skin and keep aside.
- Collect the seed with pulp (kattho) in a bowl and extract the pulp leaving some on the seed.
- Add water to the peeled skin in a bowl and squeeze as much pulp as possible and pour it in the bowl which has the seed. Discard the peels now.
- Add crushed jaggery to the bowl which has the pulp and the seeds and allow it to melt.
- Meanwhile grind coconut along with the tamarind and the chillies to a coarse paste adding water..now add the mustard seeds and grind to a very smooth paste.
- Transfer this paste to the bowl containing the seed and the jaggery.Check for sweetness and add more jaggery if required.Mix well so that the jaggery is completely melted..add salt to taste.
Drizzle coconut oil on top and the finger licking sassam is ready to be had as a side dish or even with rice if you prefer.
- The red chillies and the mustard seeds should be used raw and NOT roasted.
- Adjust chillies as per your spice level..the dish should be slightly low on spice and more on the sweeter side.
- The ground paste should be very fine.
- This is usually done with the local variety mangoes but you can use slightly over ripe mangoes easily available to you.