Ukda Tandula Muddo is an almost forgotten konkani breakfast dish . It is very healthy and filling. You can make two varieties – one a sweet and the other plain !One is filled with sweet coconut jaggery mixture and other with plain coconut gratings . The plain one is good for diabetic patients too .Sweet ones are eaten with ghee or honey or with both together. The plain ones can be eaten with any spicy chutney.
- 2 cups of parboiled rice .
- 2 cups of grated coconut for the filling,
- 1 cup of coconut gratings for grinding.
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Banana leaves to spread the batter.
- Wash and soak parboiled rice water overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the extra water and keep it aside . You can use it while grinding.
- Grind the rice, with a pinch of salt and 1 cup gratings to a smooth batter adding very little water . Batter should not be runny but should have a thick consistency .
- Consistency should be such that you can make a ball out of it ,when you take it in your hand.
- Make two parts and keep separately.
- Add jaggery to the remaining 1 cup of coconut gratings, in a kadai over a medium flame . Mix well, and stir until it becomes a little dry. Add elaichi powder.
- Take a piece of banana leaf, wet your hand in water, take a ball of the rice batter, pat on the leaf as shown in the picture below.
- Spread some sweet mixture on one side.Fold the leaf and steam cook.
- For plain ones, spread the batter( add salt as per your taste) on the leaf, spread some plain coconut gratings on one side and fold.
- Arrange the folded paans / leaves neatly in a steamer(pedavan), steam cook for at least 30 minutes. Serve hot !