Tambali is a coconut based cold curry made specially in summers. It is very healthy too as it is prepared using either various herbs or some mild spices sometimes with curds too which provides a cooling effect to our body. I have already shared one using Sambarpalli commonly known as Ajwain leaves,the recipe of which can be found Here .Today I am sharing a tambali recipe using curry leaves ..again a very healthy herb which has numerous medicinal benefits too It’s also a novel way of adding curry leaves to our diet where we can consume it rather than adding in seasoning and later discarding it. Here’s the recipe..do try and enjoy.
- A big handful of curry leaves
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- A tsp of zeera
- 2-3 green chillies
- A tbsp of ghee+ for seasoning as required
- 1/2 cup of curd
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- Red chilli – 1
- Few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a pan..add zeera when they splutter add green chillies and slightly roast them.
- Once the chillies are roasted add curry leaves and saute.
- Now add the coconut and roast till a nice aroma comes in..will take about 8-10 minutes…keep stirring continously to avoid burning.
- Allow it to cool.
Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar and add the curd and grind to a smooth paste adding water if required.
- The roasting should be done on a low flame taking care to see that the coconut does not burn or change colour.
- Adjust the green chillies depending upon its spice level.
- You can also use tamarind in place of curd but adding curd will give a nice tangy taste and is also good for digestion.
- The tambali is neither heated or boiled at any stage.