Sambarpalli is a herb which has many medicinal benefits and is used to cure cold and cough and also few culinary preparations.It can also be grown in small pots in the balcony. It is referred as ‘Ajwain leaves ‘ too commonly.,other names include ‘ Doddapatre in Kannada, ‘ Panikoorka in Malayalam,’ ova paan’ in Marathi. I have used it extensively as a remedy to cure cough and cold years back when my daughter was in infant stage.Recently I saw some fresh leaves in a vegetable store here and I could not resist buying them. But as neither of us had any cough and cold I decided to try ‘tambali’ which is a coconut based no heat curry used as an accompaniment .It is healthy as well as tasty and we all relished it.
Don’t miss trying out this whenever you get these leaves.
- 20-25 Sambarpalli leaves
- A cup of coconut
- 2 green chillies
- A tsp of cumin seeds
- A tsp of pepper corns
- 2-4 tbsp of curds preferably bit sour
- Salt to taste
- A tbsp of ghee
- Mustard seeds
- Sprig curry leaves
1. Wash the leaves and keep aside.
2. Roast green chillies, cumin seeds and pepper corns in few drops of ghee.
3. Once they splutter add the washed leaves ..tearing them roughly with hands and fry till you get a nice aroma and the leaves wilt.
4. Cool and grind along with coconut, salt and curds to a smooth paste adding water if required.
5. Remove to a bowl and add some more water or curds if required to adjust the consistency.
6.Prepare a seasoning of mustard and curry leaves using ghee and pour over the tambali.
The delicious and equally healthy tambali is ready to be served with rice.
- The tambali is always served at room temperature as the dish is neither heated nor boiled.
- Adding curds gives a nice tangy taste to the dish. if you do not prefer adding it substitute with tamarind.
- Adjust the consistency as per your requirement.
- You can also prepare a thick chutney using the same recipe and use this as a side dish.
- Some prefer roasting the coconut too along with other ingredients but I avoid doing it as I love it this way.