There are other Undi recipes in this blog . This undi made with Ukdo / parboiled rice is my mother’s recipe . A very tasty breakfast is ready with only a little effort – So let us check the recipe !
- 2 cups of parboiled rice,
- 4 cups of water,
- 2 tbsps of coconut oil.
- 2 tsps udid dal,
- 2 tsps mustard seeds,
- 4 – 5 green chillies,
- 1 inch piece of ginger,
- 1 sprig of curry leaves,
- 1 cup of freshly grated coconut
- 1 tbsp sugar, (optional),
- Salt as per your taste.
- Wash and soak the parboiled rice for one hour in water. Spread it on a clean ,dry cloth for at least 30 minutes.
- Make fine rawa of this using the small chutney jar of your mixer.
- Chop the green chillies and curry leaves, grate the ginger and keep the grated coconut ready.
- Heat a big thick bottomed kadayi or your cooker pan. Add oil, and splutter mustard seeds .After they splutter , add urad dal , chopped chillies, curry leaves and grated ginger. Saute for a while. Add 4 cups of water , salt and sugar and boil
- Now slowly add the rice rawa, mixing constantly and also add the coconut gratings.
- Keep the fire on sim and keep stirring the dough till it becomes dry. Cool it till you can make balls out of it.
- Take a bowl which fits into your cooker or steamer. Put a clean cloth. Make small balls of the dough. Flatten them slightly in between your palms and make a depression in the middle with your thumb . Check the pic below for the shape , Arrange them neatly and steam them for about 20 – 30 minutes
- Healthy steam cooked undis are ready .You can have it with any chutney or homemade butter or honey. You can eat it as such too.