This is an authentic tasty and healthy GSB dish, which can made by using homegrown veggies like malabar spinach and raw papaya.This is a little bit thicker in consistency , compared to other ambats. And this is prepared using only coconut for gravy,without dal. So here is the recipe – I made this using Vaali & papaya grown at home ..so the fresh veggies make it even more tasty!
- Vaali / Malabar Spinach – about 50 leaves
- Raw Papaya – Half of a small papaya
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 of a coconut
- Red Chillies – 7-8 or as per taste
- Tamarind – a gooseberry sized
- Onion – 1 – finely chopped
- Oil for seasoning about 2 tbsps preferably coconut oil
- Salt to taste
Rinse the vaali bhajji leaves in water and chop.Peel the raw papaya, deseed and cut into big cubes.
Cook adding salt and required amount of water.
Roast the red chillies . Grind the freshly grated coconut, , red chillies, tamarind to a very very smooth paste ,
preferably in a grinder, to get the authentic flavour.
Remove the masala from the grinder.
Mix with the cooked veggies, and give it a good boil. Check the salt.
Add the finely chopped onion and fry it in coconut oil till golden brown.
|Browned onions to be added to the ambat|
Pour it on the ambat , mix well and keep covered with a lid till serving time .