Cabbage is a vegetable most children do not make a fuss about and is accepted without much ado by most children .So here is a very simple yet so tasty quick to make recipe of cabbage Sukke .This is in the Kochi , Kerala style .Basically you can make this with just cabbage or add different veggies to enhance the taste , You can add carrots , capsicums, Green peas , potato etc. .Each combo has a different taste – so you can have a whole lot of variety dishes . The pic below has cabbage & carrot combo .
- Cabbage – washed & chopped finely – 1 cup ( 2 cups if not adding other veggies )
- Any other veggie – washed and then chopped or sliced finely – 1 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4 (as per your spice level)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Udid dal – 1 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp ( optional )
- Salt to taste
- Oil for tempering ( preferably coconut oil )
- Heat the oil in a kadai and splutter the mustard seeds . Add the urad dal & methi seeds and let them brown .
- Add the chopped veggies , salt & sprinkle a little water .
- Cover with a lid and let cook on simmer .
- Grind the green chillies , coconut , turmeric powder to a coarse paste adding just a few drops of water .
- Add this mix when the veggies have cooked . Mix well and let simmer again for 5- 10 minutes until well done .
- Serve with rice as a side dish .
- You may add cabbage singly or with a combination of one or more veggies as mentioned earlier .
- You may add red chillies instead of green as per your choice .
- Usually methi is not added but I add because my mother used to & I find the taste is enhanced .
- You may also avoid coconut totally to make a simple upkari . Just make a tempering with mustard seeds , & add chopped cabbage & a couple of green chillies with salt & cook .- See pic below ,