Patholi is a sweet dish which is cooked in turmeric leaves.It is stuffed with a mixture of jaggery,coconut and cardamom powder.The outer covering is normally prepared with rice and coconut paste.This dish is a very important naivedya on festivals like Nagarpanchami, SriKrishna Janmastami, Gowri Pooja and Ganesh Chathurthi. In Karnataka we get these leaves in the market during the festive season.My friend Geetha Prabhu has already shared the rice version in this blog HERE
Today I am sharing an instant version of the patholi prepared with Maida.
- Turmeric leaves – 15 to 20
- Maida – 1 cup
- Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup powdered
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Wash and wipe the turmeric leaves, Trim them on both the sides and keep aside.(please check NOTES given below)
- For the stuffing : Combine grated coconut, powdered jaggery and cardamom powder. This is called Chooran (if we want to reserve the steamed patholis for 2 days then, can prepare a one string syrup of the jaggery adding little water and then add the coconut, cook for 5-7 minutes until it boils from the centre, switch off gas and garnish with cardamom powder).
- For the outer Covering: Mix maida with water and make a dosa batter consistency. (add water little by little and mix
- Spread the trimmed turmeric leaves and apply the prepared maida mixture on the leaves,evenly spread it lengthwise with the help of a spoon (check the picture below )
- Take a small amount of the prepared Chooran (stuffing) and keep on the middle of the spread maida batter in lengthwise (check the picture below)
- Now fold the leaves from one side (as shown in the picture) .Similarly spread on all the cleaned leaves.
- Heat a steamer with water, Keep in Sim flame and arrange all the prepared patholis one by one on the perforated plate inside the steamer. We can stack it one on one, once the first set of leaves are spread on the plate.
- Close the lid and cook for about 15- 20 minutes until the colour fades or the leaves turn into olive green colour.
Serve hot/warm removing the Turmeric leaves. Can be garnished with ghee.
- This patholi can be made with Atta/Wheat Flour too. In that case add a tsp of ghee/oil to the flour first, mix well and then add water to make the batter.
- If preferred can grind a tbsp. of coconut with little water and added to maida/Wheat flour to make the batter.
- Can add a small piece of jaggery to the outer covering (maida /wheat batter)
- Be careful while adding water, to avoid a runny batter. the batter should be neither thin nor thick (should be like a dosa /pan cake consistency)
- Steaming the leftover patholis after every use keeps it good for 2-3 days. Can be refrigerated for 2 days too.
3 replies to “Patholi (Instant version)”
NIce I want recipe for Neivedya recipe..//.
Neivedya or prasad ? can you please check our Sweets Page and Festival dishes page