Mulangi .i.e radish is not a favourite vegetable for so many of them. But trust me – there are few recipes which will make you fall in love with this vegetable , and Talasani is one such !.You can also try the tava fries ,( Bhuttti dry side dish) or the Ambat (dal based dish) – if you wish to try other recipes and include radish in your diet. I learnt the talasani from a foodie friend Pratibha akka in our food group.I had to try it immediately and as expected it turned out great. Goes well as side dish with meals or with chapatties and ideal for lunch boxes too..so here I go with the recipe which is very simple and quick..so do try and enjoy.
- 3 to 4 tender fresh radish
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- A tsp of urad dal
- A sprig of curry leaves
- A tbsp or two of red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 to 5 tbsp’s of oil
- Coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
- Lemon juice 1 tsp(optional)
- Wash the radish well and lightly scrap them if fresh.otherwise just peel the skin using a peeler.
- Sice them into medium thin triangles or semi circles depending upon the size of the radish.
- Apply salt and let it rest for 8-10 minutes.
- Heat a pan and add oil…once the oil is hot ..add mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter..add curry leaves and urad dal and stir till urad dal is light golden.
- Now add chilli powder and switch off the pan so as to avoid burning.
- Stir well and add the chopped radish and give a mix. Now switch on.
- Add salt ,sprinkle some water and mix again.
- Cook it on slow flame for 12-15 minutes with a lid .
- Stir in between and check for salt..add salt and sprinkle some more water if required.and cook till done.
- If you desire you can add juice of lemon and some coriander leaves just before serving.
Delicious tasty and healthy radish talasani is ready
- You can use more oil and avoid adding water completely.
- I have used Kashmiri chilli powder…you can use the chilli powder you prefer and adjust the quantity accordingly.
- Try to choose tender fresh radish without any blemishes.
- I add lemon juice and coriander leaves when I pack it for lunch box along with chapatties.
- You can use chopped garlic also along with mustard seeds or use only garlic in the seasoning.