Vaali or malabar spinach is a tasty and nutritious leafy vegetable. Its very common in the backyards of konkani families.Today I am sharing one of the tastiest curries with malabar spinach and mixed vegetables like raw banana,raw papaya , sweet potato making it a unique combo… Please try out this tasty curry which is a bit spicy and at the same time with a mild sweetness..
- Malabar spinach ( vaali ) chopped roughly – 3 cups
- Raw banana – 1 ( cut in squares)
- Raw papaya – 1/2 cup ( cut in squares)
- Sweet potato – 1/2 cup ( cut in squares)
- Onion – 1 large (chopped in squares )
- Potato – 1
- Coconut grated -1 and half cups
- Red chillies fried in little oil – 10 to 12
- Tamarind – a marble sized
- Jaggery grated – 1 table spoon
- Onion chopped very finely – 1 medium sized
- Tur dal – 1/2 cup
- Oil for seasoning
- Pressure cook tur dal till soft.
- Add spinach and the rest of the veggies along with salt and pressure cook for one more whistle.
- Meanwhile grind coconut , red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste..
- Boil the dal – veg mix adding jaggery ..
- Add the ground coconut mix and boil well…
- Once done prepare the onion seasoning..
- Heat oil in a small pan and then add the finely chopped onion
- Fry till they turn golden brown and then pour it over the curry ..
Tasty ambat is ready