This is one of a series of rare dishes of Konkani food that I will be posting – This simple but tasty dish is almost rarely ever made these days . Phedi or pieces of Veggies Like Surnu , Yam ( Kaachil ) , Chinese Potato ( kooka/Soppur kook ) are fried to a crisp golden brown and then added to dal – coconut gravy .This makes for an excellent accompaniment with rice ,,,So let’s check the recipe for this .
- Tor dal – 3/4th cups
- Veggies ( root Vegetables – any ) – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Malabar Tamarind / Dharmbya sol – 1 small piece
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies – 3 to 4 as per spice level
- Mustard seeds – 1 tap
- Udid dal – 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for seasoning – 1 tbsp ( preferably coconut oil )
- Oil for deep frying
- Pressure cook the dal along with the sol .
- Clean the veggie ,and chop to small pieces . Deep fry them in oil to a crisp golden colour .
- Grind the grated coconut , chillies and turmeric powder to a fine paste .
- Add this and salt to the cooked dal and bring it to a boil .. simmer for five more minutes and switch off .
- Heat oil in a kadai and splutter the mustard seeds .then add the Udid dal , methi & let it brown . switch off and add the Curry leaves .
- Pour this over the gravy and also add the fried pieces .
- Keep covered for about five minutes for the flavours to seep in .
- Serve with hot rice for an enjoyable meal