Gulla is a seasonal vegetable,which belongs to brinjal family.They are available in and around Mangalore and Udupi regions.Similar upkari can be done with normal purple and any variety brinjals. Myself and my co-bloggers have already shared the details and various recipes of this brinjal in this blog.
- Gulla – 2 nos (big size)
- Drumstick – 2 nos
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Red Chillies – 2 tsp
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Chop the brinjals and immediately put them into water to avoid them from changing the colour .
- Chop drumstick into 1″ inch size and put them too with the brinjals in the water.
- Heat a kadai with oil.Splutter mustard,add hing and red chillies broken into 2 or 3 pieces,
- Add the brinjals and the drumstick pieces to the seasoning.
- Add 3/4 cup of water and salt.Mix well,close lid and let cook until the drumsticks are cooked and both the veggies are soft.’
- We are done with the curry.
Serve with rice as a side dish.
- We can make talasani,with the same vegetable combo.Here mustard and hing is replaced with crushed garlic.
- We add a 6-8 cloves of crushed garlic fry it well in oil until they change its colour into a brown shade.Later follow the same procedure of the above said method.A small piece of jaggery adding to this upkari/talasani enhances the taste of the curry.