Another one in the series of rare recipes and this one is lip smacking tangy one with raw tamarind/ Chinche – Usually there are hordes of recipes with the ripened black tamarind that we use – but this one is with the raw green ones .This recipe is courtesy my FB friend – Suseela D Pai akka .
- Raw tamarind – a handful (should be tender and not fibrous )
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cups
- Green Chillies – 5 or as per spice level
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Coconut oil for tempering – 1 tbsp
- Peel the skin of the tamarind , wash & boil with very little water .
- Let cool . Then squeeze out the flesh discarding the seeds . ( DO throw away the seeds as they will otherwise give a bitter flavour to the chutney).
- Grind the pulp with the coconut and green chillies to a smooth chutney consistency .
- Add the salt .
- Heat the oil in a kadai & splutter the mustard seeds . Then add the jeera and curry leaves .
- Pour them over the chutney .
Enjoy this with rice as a side dish or with idlis & dosa as a dip !
2 replies to “Chinchamba Chutney”
Worth a try. But where to get raw tamariIn urban areas
you can try 😀