Today I am sharing one more recipe of sukke using raw bananas.There are many recipes of sukke in the blog which can be found under the title Side dishes 1 and side dishes 2 in the Archives. Sukke is a side dish and every family has their own combinations of veggies. My mother in law used to prepare this sukke using raw bananas which was very new to me and I loved it as sukke is one of my favourite side dish.Hope you also will try and enjoy this.
- 2 raw bananas..peeled and chopped into small cubes and immersed in water.
- 1 potato..peeled and cubed and immersed in water.(optional)
- 3/4th cup coconut
- 3-4 red chillies roasted
- A tbsp of coriander seeds roasted
- A tsp of urad dal roasted
- Marble sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery – a tsp (optional)
- Oil as required
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, once they splutter- add curry leaves and the chopped raw banana and potatoes which have been immersed in water.
- Stir and add some water .Allow it boil on full flame.. once the bubble appears ..lower the flame .Close it with a lid and allow it to cook.
- Mean while grind coconut with roasted chillies and tamarind to a coarse paste adding very little water.. just before taking out the paste add the roasted urad dal and coriander seeds and grind again. .texture need not be too fine.
- Add this paste to the pan making sure that the veggies are well cooked and gently mix it.
- Add salt, jaggery and water to get a desired consistency and mix again.
- Allow it to boil on low flame for 5-8 minutes and switch off
Here’s a collage showing the various stages
The dish sukke is ready to be served as a side along with meals
- Adding potato is optional.. I add it to every sukke as I love the humble potato.. but you can avoid it and make the sukke using only raw bananas.
- I like my sukke with a little gravy ..you can add less water too and make it bit dry.
- As the raw bananas cook fast I have chopped potato bit smaller than the bananas so that they cook uniformly.. take care while cooking them or add the potatoes first and when half done add the chopped bananas.
- Adding jaggery is optional