This is a simple stir fry prepared with raw banana.It can be prepared with ingredients readily available in the pantry.
We normally include ripe bananas in our daily life,similarly we should include raw bananas too as it is a good source of starch which helps keep cholesterol in check.Since raw bananas have low sugar content, these are a great option for diabetics too.They are very easy to cook.Let us get into the recipe.
- Raw Banana – 2 or 3 nos
- Red Chillies – 2 to 3 nos
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
1. Wash and peel the skin of the banana.Cut them into small cubes and drop immediately in water to avoid discolouration.
2. Heat a kadai with oil,splutter mustard, break the red chillies and put them in too – saute for 2 secs.
3. Now add the chopped & drained banana pieces.
4. Add 1/2 cup water and salt as per taste.
5. Cover with a lid and cook in medium flame.
6. After 6-8 minutes just take the lid and check whether they are soft then cook further if needed.
7. They cook fast so just keep an eye otherwise they turn mushy or burn.
Upkari is ready to serve.
- Peel the skin of the banana carefully, apply coconut oil to the hands as it stains the hand and also the clothes too
- Do not add more water to cook, as the veggie turns mushy
- Always keep an eye on the curry by opening the lid and stirring ,sprinkle water as needed to cook.
- It is always good to retain it firm.