Taikilo means tora leaves, which is a variety of green leafy vegetable that grow during the monsoon season and can be seen in backyards and barren lands.We have already updated more details about these plant in the recipes updated in this blog.
Kadi is a coconut based gravy had with plain rice. We prepare many variety of dishes with this greens.Myself and my friends have already updated the recipes like dangar,muddo, upkari with a combination of jackfruit seeds and sanna polo.Please refer the side dish page for the recipes.
- Taikila pallo/Leaves – 1 cup cleaned and chopped
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp (adjust as per spice level reqd)
- Kashmiri Red chillies – 3 (adjust as per taste)
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
- Salt to taste
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil/ghee – 1 tsp
- Heat a pan with ghee or oil and roast jeera and pepper.
- When they are slightly brown add the red chillies and the tamarind,
- Roast again – now add the chopped taro leaves saute for 2 minutes, until the leaves wilt and then add 1/2 cup water and little salt.
- Close lid and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the leaves are cooked and the water has evaporated. At this stage add the grated coconut and saute for 3-5 minutes in low flame.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool.Now grind this with little water to a smooth paste. Remove to a bowl. Retain little as chutney and to the rest add water and dilute to make kadi.
- Prepare seasoning with oil,mustard and curry leaves.Let it splutter and then pour this over the kadi..
Serve hot with rice