Pendaro is a seasonal vegetable available in coastal Karnataka during monsoon season. I have heard from my elders that it has medicinal value and rich in iron content. Cracked heel can be cured when the skin of this vegetable is rubbed over it.
We konkanis prepare upkari, talasani and phodi (fry) with this vegetable.I learnt this from my mother.
While making upkari few people remove the skin, but I learnt from my Mother in-law that the skin has all the nutrients and should not be discarded.But if the vegetable is not tender and too matured then I would suggest to remove the skin.I shall update the talasani recipe soon.Pendaro upkari is already updated in this blog Here with few other details of the vegetable.
Let us check the recipe
- Pendaro – 2 to3 nos
- Chilli powder – 1 tbs
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Rice powder – 2 to 3 tbsp to dust the marinated pendaros.
- Oil- for frying
Wash and cut pendaros into roundels.
Remove the seeds and keep aside.
- Mix together chilli powder,turmeric,salt and hing.
- Add little water and make a semi thick paste.
- Now add the chopped pendaros in the masala and mix well until the masala is coated on both sides of the pieces.
- Dust/roll the masala coated roundels in the rice powder on both sides.
Heat enough oil in a kadai and drop the masala coated pendaros one by one.
- Once the veggie is cooked and slightly changes colour – flip to other side and fry until the colour is changed to light brown.
- The phodis are slightly crisp outside and very soft inside.
- Remove in a tissue paper and serve hot as a side dish for lunch or dinner.
4 replies to “Pendaro Phodi”
I feel really happy to have seen your web-page and look forward to so many more entertaining times reading here. Thanks once more for all the details.I just liked the article. It was Very refreshing post with attractive ideas.It was great to read your blog. Traditional Indian Food
I wanted to make a comment so as to express gratitude to you for all of the splendid ways you are giving out at this site. My time consuming internet look up has at the end of the day been recognized with high-quality ideas to talk about with my family. I 'd believe that most of us site visitors actually are very endowed to dwell in a useful website with very many marvellous individuals with interesting advice. I feel very much lucky to have encountered the weblog and look forward to so many more enjoyable minutes reading here. Thanks a lot again for all the details.Multi Cooker