Dosa – a thin crispy golden pancake is a south Indian food served for breakfast or dinner.Though they are typically a part of south-Indian food – now it is very popular all over India and rest of the countries too.Traditionally dosas are served sambar and variety chutnies.
We Konkanis call it – Polo. We make polos of many varieties,few with variety vegetable fillings and others are of various lentils. Even sweet dosas and spicy vegetable dosas are included in our daily menus. For all those recipes please use the search option in this blog or use search in the pages of various headings like breakfast,side dish or snack
Today,I am sharing the basic/simple recipe of dosa, keeping in mind that it will be very useful for the beginners. Nowadays you can buy ready made dosa batter in stores,but these usually have preservatives,stabilizers and sugar which are not very healthy like homemade ground batters.
The main ingredients that goes into the making of dosas are rice and black gram dal. They are soaked separately and ground together to a fine smooth paste with salt and later fermented overnight. When we speak about the perfect dosas we need to understand that the quality of urad and rice,proportion of the ingredients, consistency of the batter and the weather to ferment play an integral role to get a perfect Dosa .
Let us learn here the art of making dosa step by step also go through the recipe till the end of this page to understand the tips in grinding the batter.
- Whole urad dal – 1 cup
- Methi seeds – 1 tsp
- Idly rice – 3 cups (can use raw rice like sona masoori as well)
- Cooked rice – 1/4 cup (opt)
- Crystal Salt – as per taste
- Water for grinding
- Oil for frying the dosa
- Wash urad dal n methi together until you see a clear water.Soak in water just enough to immerse the dal.
- Wash and soak rice in water.
- Let it soak for about 4-5 hrs in room temperature
- Grind Urad dal with 1/4 th cup water added in 2-3 intervals until fluffy for about 20 minutes, You may use iced water so that the batter does not heat up while grinding in a mixer .
- Remove to a big vessel.Then grind the rice,salt to a fine paste with 1/2 cup water.(if needed add another 1/2 cup water).
- Put this ground rice into the same vessel in which we added urad paste.
- Mix both together with hands or a spatula until well blended.
- Wash the grinder with 1/2 cup water and add this to the ground batter.Mix very well.
- Keep this for fermentation.If mixer -then 1/4 th cup .
- In the morning we can see the batter risen up.Mix this very well.
- Heat a tava,grease with oil and put a ladle full of batter make swirl and drizzle some ghee/oil.Close with lid and cook for 2 minutes,open and check whether it is cooked and turned slightly brown.Now with the help of a spatula remove it from the sides and fold.
- Serve hot with chutney of sambar.
- Please check the videos below for the method.