Tendle bibbe upkari is Ivygourd stirfry using fresh tender cashewnuts which are available during the time of our New Year …Sansaar Padvo Or Ugadi. This dish is a must on Ugadi and is much loved by everyone.The tender cashewnuts are seasonal and are not available throughout the year…so we make this dish with dried cashews with skin at other times.I have already posted Tendle-Bibbe Ambat which is also prepared on Ugadi…Today let’s check the recipe of the upkari.
- Ivygourds/ tendli – 1/4 th kg
- Tender cashews /dried cashews with skin – one cup
- Tsp of mustard seeds
- 1-2 red chillies broken
- 1-2 green chillies slit (optional)
- Salt to taste
- A generous pinch of hing /asafoetida
- Sprig of curry leaf
- 2-3 tbsp of oil(preferably coconut)
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut
- Wash the ivygourds well..trim the edges and slice them lengthwise.
- Soak the dried cashewnuts in warm water for 30 minutes..deskin them and wash them well.Let it be immersed in water.
- Heat oil in a pan …add mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter add curry leaves, both the chillies and the Hing…stir for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced ivygourds/tendli..and saute for few minutes.
- Add water and let it bubble…once the bubble appears simmer the flame and add the cashewnuts after draining them.
- Add salt and gently mix and allow it to cook with lid closed.
- When it is 3/4th done or almost after 15-20 minutes…open the lid and add the grated coconut.
- At this stage check for salt and add if required…sprinkle some water if it has dried up .
- Close the lid and cook further till it is fully done and all the water has dried up.
- Choose very fresh and tender ivygourds for better taste.
- The fresh ones cook faster and taste better than the ones which are refrigerated for a couple of days.
- You can also use regular cashews without skin if both fresh tender cashews and dried ones are not available.
- If using regular cashews ..soak them also for 30 -40 minutes prior using them.
One reply to “Tendle-Bibbe Upkari”