Today I am sharing yet another version of usli using black chana which is prepared in North Canara of Karnataka.This usli is prepared on festive days to distribute as ‘Prasad’ or as part of prasad along with other items. Also during” Vasant pooja” in temples this is always in the menu along with the panak and fruits.You can also check other versions of chana usli in blog under Archives.
- A cup of black chana boiled (CHECK NOTES)
- 3 to 4 tbsp of cococnut
- 2 to 3 red chillies
- Pea sized tamarind
- 1 tbsp of mustard seeds (for grinding +seasoning)
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- Tsp of zeera
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of oil (preferably coconut)
- Sprig of curry leaves
- Tsp or two of jaggery
- Heat a pan and roast the red chillies and keep aside.
- In the same pan add a pinch mustard seeds,coriander seeds and cumin seeds(zeera) and roast till they splutter and imparts an aroma.
- Allow them to cool and grind them all together along with the coconut and tamarind to a coarse paste without adding any water.
- Heat oil in a wide pan/kadhai and add mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter ..add curry leaves.
- Now add the ground paste and saute for few minutes.
- Add the boiled chana along with little of the water in which it was cooked ,salt and jaggery and mix well.
- Let it simmer for few minutes until everything is mixed well and the flavours absorbed.
- Soak the chana overnight and pressure cook it for 3-4 whsitles adding sufficient water.
- Once the pressure releases drain the extra water leaving some with chana . This will help in retaining the moisture while preparing the dish.
- Do not throw away the drained water ….use it to prepare delicious saaru by boiling adding green chillies , tomatoes and salt and season it with crushed garlic OR mustard curry leaves and hing.
- Increase the red chillies in case you prefer it spicy .