Humman is a coconut based spicy curry.This is a curry that can be prepared on satvik days as it is seasoned with hing (asafoetida) and raw coconut oil.This is a Mangalore style humman and we like to have it along with rice and also with shevain (string hoppers)
This humman can be prepared just with one veggie only like bikkand ( jakfruit seed) or magge (coloured/ madras cucumber ,or potato, or alvamande (colacassia). It is also referred in the name of bendi. In this blog you can find the recipes of various humman/bendi written by my friends. Let us get into the recipe
- Bikkand – 10 to 12 nos
- Magge – 10 pieces (cut into medium sized squares)
- Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
- Red chillies – 6-8 nos (roasted in oil,can increase or decrease as per taste)
- Tamarind – small marble size
- Hing – a small piece soaked in little water (can use 1/2 tsp of powder too)
- Raw coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Halve the jack fruit seeds and remove its outer cover.
- Chop cucumber into medium size square pieces (need not discard the skin).
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook for 2-3 whistles in a cooker or until the seeds are soft enough.
4.Meanwhile grind coconut with roasted red chillies and tamarind with little water to a fine paste.Mix this ground paste to the cooked vegetables .
5. Add salt and bring to a boil. Now add the hing water.
6. Drizzle coconut oil in the boiling curry.
7. Switch off and close with a lid to let the flavours infuse.
Serve hot along with rice.