Puffed rice laddoos or charmuro/charmurya undos are a popular sweet with all people young & old . These are easy to make since they need just three ingredients – Puffed rice , jaggery & a little ghee . The main criteria for this is the quality of jaggery and the two string stage of the melted jaggery . You need to get jaggery used for making chikki ( check the video below, or the picture in the notes ). Follow the steps for the two string stage or soft ball stage as its called & you can’t go wrong in making these tasty ondos .
- Puffed rice /charmburo – 4 cups
- Jaggery powdered – 3/4 cups
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Dry Ginger powder – 1/2 tsp ( optional)
- Ghee – 1 tbsp & for greasing
- Rice flour (fine powder ) – little for dusting
- Ensure that the puffed rice is clean of dust & impurities . you may winnow or sieve it to clean .
- It should be very crisp for the undos to remain crisp . so dry roast on low flame – stirring continuously till it is very crisp . Do this on low flame only to ensure it does not burn or blacken .
- Now in a thick bottomed kadai add the water and jaggery. If you see impurities – filter the jaggery water and then proceed to heat it . Add 1 tbsp ghee. also keep one or two small bowls of water ready by your side to check the soft ball stage .
- Boil vigorously on high heat , When you see it thicken , reduce to low flame and proceed cautiously .
- Add the cardamom powder & dry ginger (optional ) .
- To know if it has reached the two string stage , drop a little of the jaggery syrup in a bowl of water .
- If it has reached the two string /soft ball stage . the dropped syrup will harden immediately & you will be able to roll it into a ball .
- If it has not , continue heating on low flame till it reaches so ,
- Once you are sure the stage has been reached , drop the puffed rice , little by little and mixing well .
- When all the puffed rice has been added , mix again so that all of it has been coated uniformly with the jaggery syrup.
- Switch off flame now and wait till it has cooled just a little and bearable for you to roll into balls .
- Now smear your hands well with ghee & dust your hands with the rice flour. This will help you handle the heat – since they have to be rolled when they are still hot. Now scoop a little of the mixture to form a ball. At first make the balls roughly and quickly. You can roll them out perfectly after first using up the mixture .
- If it has turned cold and you are not able to finish rolling – slightly heat and now roll again quickly .
- Always use good quality jaggery meant for this type only .
- Make sure you have reached the soft ball stage correctly . If you add the puffed rice before it has reached you will not be able to roll out the balls
- If it has gone beyond the stage also the syrup will harden & you cannot roll properly.
- If you cannot handle the heat & roll quickly – you may just grease a plate with ghee & spread the mixture evenly like rice crispies and cut into desired shapes .
- The colour of the jaggery affects the colour of the undos ,so if you choose a litlle darker your undos will be more coloured.
- Remember to keep the flame Lowest when the jaggery is nearing the required stage .