Ragi / nanchono which was very much a staple food in our traditional diets has now made a comeback as a super food after researchers have confirmed the very many health benefits of this grain . So let’s enjoy eating this delicious dhudhali using ragi and be benefitted too .This recipe and pictures are courtesy my FB Friend – Veena Nayak akka .
- Ragi /Nanchono – 3/4 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Grated Jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom / elaichi powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Wash the ragi well removing impurities if any .Soak it for 2 hours .
- After two hours – drain the ragi and add in a mixer jar . also add the grated coconut and 3 cups of water to grind .
- Grind the mixture well and then strain it .Use a filter to strain it . Collect the milk in another vessel .
- Add some more water to the strained ragi .
- Grind well and again strain it . Collect the milk again . And remove the strained remnants .
- Add the milk to a non stick or heavy bottomed kadai .
- Add the jaggery , mix well & cook stirring continuously.
- Add the cardamom powder & continue cooking on medium flame stirring all the time – till it starts to thicken .
- Switch off when it starts to leaves the sides & has thickened .
- Grease a plate and pour the mixture on it . Flatten to a smooth finish with a greased spatula .
- Allow to cool to room temperature . Cut into desired shapes .
- Enjoy this delicious dhudhali with your dear ones .