We GSB’s are known to use so many varieties of leaves in our diet . so here is one more – Bitter gourd leaves / kertya pallo . Yes – we can use the tender ones to make a very tasty spicy dish which goes so well with our morning breakfasts or even for lunch . This I learnt from my aunt who had come on a visit to our home and found the fresh leaves in my garden . So I quickly plucked some leaves and with her directions made this for our breakfast . This is so tasty with idlis & dosas .
Select only fresh tender leaves of bitter gourd.
- Tender Kartya pallo – 7 or 8
- Chilli powder – 1 to 2 tsps. – as per spice level
- Hing – 1/4 tsp.
- Rice powder – 2 tsps.
- Tamarind – 1 /2 tsp paste or small gooseberry sized ball
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Udid dal – 1 tsp
- Methis / fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil for tempering
- Wash the leaves well and keep aside.
- Heat a kadai and add the oil and splutter the mustard seeds
- Then add the udid dal & methi seeds to it .
- When the dal has browned , add the kaarate leaves and sauté until they get wilted . Switch off.
- Add the salt , rice powder, hing & chilli powder .
- Mix well . Add about a cup water .and start to cook stirring occasionally . See that it doesn’t stick to the bottom .
- When it comes to a boil add the tamarind paste and let cook till the mixture has thickened slightly .
- Adjust thickness as per your desired consistency adding more water if needed. Remember the dish thickens when cooled .
- Transfer to a bottle or jar . It keeps well for 2-3 days and for a week under refrigeration .