Ivy gourds / Tendule are one of our favourite veggies and the traditional “thalasini ” is our most favourite dish from ivy gourds. Thalasini basically refers to any stir fry flavoured by fried garlic cloves. The specialty of ivy gourd thalasini is that we do not cut them. We crush the ivy gourd a bit as seen in the picture. So here is the recipe
- Ivy gourd- 250 gms.
- Whole peeled garlic cloves – 8 to 10
- Red chillies – 6 to 8
- Mustard – 1 tsp.
- Oil – 3 to 4 tsp.
- Clean the ivy gourd well.
- Trim both the tips.
- Now use some heavy object or a mortar pestle and crush the ivy gourds a bit to make them flat… Take care that they should not be broken off.
- Now heat oil.
- Splutter mustard, red chillies and garlic cloves.
- Let the garlic turn to golden brown.
- Put the crushed ivy gourd.
- Fry for a while adding sufficient salt..
- Now pour around 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and cook in low flame till they are soft.
- Once they are cooked soft, fry the ivy gourds in low flame till they get a lovely fried texture.
- Its ready to be relished along with rice.