These sweet aromatic idlis made with cucumber are a treat to eat . I used to relish eating them as a child . Here is the recipe for these yum idlis .
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Grated jaggery – 1 cup
- Cucumber – 1 medium sized one
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom – 3
- A pinch of salt
- Ghee for greasing
- Turmeric leaves for steaming with the idlis
- Soak the raw rice for four hours.
- Pour almost 1/2 cup water to the grated jaggery. Mix well so that its dissolved completely . Strain it well so that the impurities are removed..
- Now grind the coconut and elaichi adding the jaggery syrup to a smooth paste.
- To this add the drained raw rice. Grind it a bit coarsely..
- Do not add water while grinding now so that you get a thick paste.
- Now grate the cucumber and mix it well in the batter.. Add a Pinch of salt.
- Now grease the idli moulds with ghee.
- Place pieces of turmeric leaves in the moulds and pour the batter.
- Steam cook for 15 to 20 mins.
- Relish with ghee or butter.
Notes :– those who don’t like the turmeric leaves flavour can avoid and do without it also ..You can find the spicy version of this in this blog !