Happla guli Sassam is a traditional dish of GSB Konkanis . When pappads were being rolled out by the women of the household , a few gulis were reserved to make this delicious dish .But this is hardly made these days as it involves happlu making which is quite time consuming in this fast life and also since the pappad khar is not readily available easily !But when made with happla guli – this sassam is so tasty you would be tempted to make many more times . you can find the recipe for making Happla guli – here My FB friend Leena Radhakrishna tried out this short cut for this delicious sassam . She used store bought happolu to make the guli . Read on to see how she made it – sharing her recipe and pics.
- Happolu / Kerala pappad -1 small pack
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Red chillies – 3 to 4
- Tamarind – gooseberry sized
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – only if needed
- Oil for tempering & frying
- Soak the papad in water for a few minutes. Next squeeze out the water and make a dough of the soaked papad .
- Make small balls from the dough.
- Heat the oil in a kadai to deep fry.
- Deep fry the balls till they are golden brown,
- Drain out the excess oil with a strainer or with tissue papers .
- Now add the grated coconut, red chilles and tamarind in a mixer jar and grind adding a little water .
- Grind the ingredients to a fine paste.
- Make a tempering with the mustard, jeera & curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering over the ground paste ,
- Finally ,add the fried papad balls to the Sassam.and add salt if needed.
Your lip smacking Sassam is ready to be served .Hope you will enjoy making this yum dish !