Kodbevu sakkare panchkadayi is made on Ugadi day as prasad in temples ( around Mangalore ) . This is made with neem leaves & sugar and given as prasad to all devotees who visit the temple on this festival day ! We can make this at home too and offer as prasad ! My dear FB friend –Padmini Kamath has kindly shared the recipe along with pics ..so do try out !
- Neem Leaves – a handful
- Sugar – 5 to 6 tsp
- Chanadal -2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Ghee 1 tsp
- Clean and wash the neem leaves .
- Pat them dry on a clean towel . Leave to dry for some more time .See that there are no traces of water .
- Powder coarsely the sugar .
- In a kadai add the ghee.
- Add the chanadal and lower the flame to sim .
- Now add the neem leaves and roast till they become crisp .
- Transfer to a plate and sprinkle the sugar & cardamom powders .
- Gently crush the neem leaves and mix so that they are evenly coaated with the sugar.
- Let cool and then transfer to a bowl to be offered as naivedya !
Note :- you can also use jaggery powder that is available now instead of sugar too.