Bikkand in Konkani means Jackfruit seed. These seeds are edible and highly nutritious. We Konkanis include it in many curries. Today I’m sharing a simple and spicy curry made with bikkand which is seasoned with garlic. This can be served as an accompaniment with rice or can be served with panpolo or undi. Please refer preserving method of bikkand and to know various other curries including bikkand is already shared in this blog. Now lets get into the recipe
- Tender or matured jackfruit seeds – 20-25 numbers, thinly sliced (remove the white thick skin but retain the brown skin)
- Garlic cloves peeled and slightly crushed – 10-15 numbers
- Chilly powder – 2 tsp or more as per the required spice level ( I used Kashmiri chilly powder)
- Tamarind gooseberry size – soak in water and extract the juice
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water enough to cook
- Clean the jackfruit seeds removing its outer skin and slice thinly .
- In a heavy bottom pan heat oil. When hot enough add the crushed garlic and fry till slightly brown. Take care not to burn it.
- Now keep the flame in low add chilli powder and give a nice stir.
- Add the chopped seeds mix well and pour the tamarind extract, add enough salt and water.
- Close with a lid and cook until the seeds turn tender and soft.
- Switch off the gas. Serve this with your favourite dosa or plain rice.