Wishing all a very Happy New Year ..so starting on a sweet note !One of my favourite snacks as a child was this sugar coated diamonds – Ronti or Tukdi as they are called . Kids & elders too will love this traditional GSB sweet ..so why not surprise them with this snack ..Just follow the steps and you can make them perfectly the first time itself
- Maida – 1 cup
- Sugar – nearly 1 cup
- 1 tsp of Ghee or oil
- Cardamom – 1 tsp
- A pinch of salt
- Take one cup of maida in a bowl – You may also use Atta or a mix of both atta & Maida.
- Add the salt and adding water – knead to a smooth dough
- Add the ghee or oil , knead and rest for an hour .
- after an hour , divide the ball into equal parts .
- Dip each ball in flour and with a rolling pin make a smooth round .
- Dont make it too thin or too thick
- Repeat with each ball .Now spread each chapati on the board and cut into equal sized diamonds .
- You can put a plate over the board and turn it upside down to easily transfer the cut pieces ,
- Heat a kadai with enough oil and gently drop the pieces into the hot oil .
- Fry on medium flame till it slightly changes colour and have turned crisp .remove from the oil and let excess oil drain .
- Do likewise with the rest of the dough.
- After frying the entire lot .keep aside for 2-3 hours to let cool completely .
- Now for the sugar syrup .add nearly one cup of sugar in a pan or kadai ..add 1/4 cup of water .. also keep a small bowl of cold water for testing the two thread stage .
- Now heat on high flame ,the sugar will melt ,keep stirring until it froths up ..then reduce flame to low .
- Now continue cooking until we get to the two string stage ..keep cheking with the ladle to see if its thickening .
- When you touch a drop of the syrup with your forefinger and then touch your thumb and forefinger together and pull apart gently,, it should form an un broken string .
- Now it has reached the one string stage ,keep flame on low only as the stages happens very quickly .
- Add the cardamom powder now .
- When you do the same test again you should get two unbroken strings ..an easier method would be to put a drop of the syrup in the bowl it forms a soft ball immediately .
- At this stage add the frys ,mix gently & quickly so that all are well coated with the sugar syrup .continue doing until you see that all of the syrup has been used up .
- Just in case if you missed the second stage and the syrup has become thicker ,just sprinkle a few drops of water and continue .
- The rontis are well coated now ,, when it has cooled a bit ..separate any joined pieces and store in an air tight container .
- Now to enjoy with your dear ones .do try this & keep your kids happy