This is used by Konkanis instead of pickles or sometimes along with the pickles & also served during functions . It goes well with watery rice ( Pejj ) Add a happolu , any veggies and a dal as an accompaniment and you have a meal that is simple yet so nutritious and very relishing. Invigorates the taste buds of convalescents.
This can be made in larger quantities as it keeps well when stored properly.
- Mature dry coconut-1(medium)
- Chana dal -250gms
- Urad dal – 250gms
- Coriander / dhaniya seeds -100gms,
- Red chillies -12 or more as per taste
- Tamarind-1 lemon size,
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves-a small bunch.
- Roast grated coconut,chillies and curry leaves together to a nice golden brown.
- Roast the dals and coriander seeds separately. When cool grind the dals and coriander to fine powder.
- After you have roasted the dals – add the tamarind & salt in the hot kadai ( no need of flame ) – so that all the moisture is lost ,
- Dry grind the fried coconut mixture in a mixer till smooth & oil separates.
- Add tamarind and salt and grind again.
- Transfer the masala onto a large vessel
- Add the ground powder little by little and mix well.
- Store in sun dried containers .
- If you have the Masolu in stock , then you need to only add the dals , tamarind , curry leaves & salt .
- Care should be taken that all ingredients are dry ,all vessels handled are sun dried & hands are totally dry !
- For daily use ..transfer a small amount into a small container always using a dry spoon .