This dish of potatoes (“batato” in Konkani) is one of my favorites. “Humman” is a spicy kind of thickish coconut based curry. It usually is served as an accompaniment in the main meal of rice and dal, where it complements the dal with its spicy taste.
- Potatoes, medium-sized, 3-4
- Freshly Grated Coconut, 1 cup
- Roasted Red Chillies, 6-8
- Tamarind, small marble sized piece
- Asafoetida, 2 large pinches
- Coconut oil, 2-3 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Wash and boil the potatoes. Cool them, and peel and cut into small cubes.
- Add a little salt and mix it with the potato cubes so that it absorbs the salt
- To prepare the masala:
- Grind grated conconut along with roasted red chillies and tamarind to get a smooth paste, adding water as required. Aim to get a thick consistency without making it too dilute.
- Add this masala to the cooked potatoes and mix well.
- Boil the mixture, lower the heat and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes
- Now add the asafoetida. I usually use asafoetida mixed in water.
- Check the salt and add more as required
- Switch off the gas and finally add the coconut oil and mix well.