This is spicy version of idly, a very traditional amchi dish and a superb accompaniment to an amchi meal. Serve it drizzled with coconut oil .
- Toor dal- half cup
- Raw rice- three fourth cup
- Grated coconut- 1.5 cups
- Tamarind-marble sized
- Roasted red chillies- about 15
- a tiny piece of hing (asafoetida)
- salt to taste
|Sanna Khotto /idly|
- Soak rice with toor dal for 2 to 3 hours in water.
- Grind coconut with roasted red chillies, hing, tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Next add the dal and the rice and grind to obtain a rava like consistency.add salt to taste.
- Fill into greased idly moulds and steam for 15 minutes.
- Demould on cooling and serve drizzled with coconut oil.
- This can also be steamed in khotte (made of jackfruit tree leaves) or as sannan in a pressure cooker.
Note: Chopped onion can be added to the masala in which case hing has to be omitted