This is the first pulao I learnt to make from my Amma and is still one of my favourites.Though Pulao is basically not a Konkani dish,this one is special as I have been eating this since childhood and rememeber waking up to the aroma of this pulao on sunday mornings as a special breakfast .This pulao was always on Amma’s menu when guests or relatives arrived or for picnics as hotels were very rare then.Now ofcourse the scenario has changed as everyone can cook multi cuisine and hotels and restaurants are at every nook and corner .Many of my friends tried this when i had posted this in food group recently and loved it and so will you .!
FOR THE PASTE :
- 1/4 -1/2 bunch of coriander leaves
- 2-3 green chillies
- 8-10 cloves of garlic
- Small piece of ginger
- 1/2 tbsp Jeera(cumin seeds)
- small piece of tamarind
- 2 medium size onions(chopped )
|INGREDIENTS FOR PASTE EXCEPT THE CUMIN AND TAMARIND|
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables like peas,beans ,carrots, cauliflower ,capsicum. potatoes,chopped.
- 5-6 cloves ,10 -12 pepper corns,small piece of cinnamon and bay leaf(whole spices)
- 1 cup basmati rice (washed and drained)
- 1 big onion chopped
- salt to taste
|Amchi Pulao ani salad|
- Grind the ingredients listed ‘for the paste’ to a smooth paste using little water.
- Heat oil+ghee(or any 1 ) in pressure cooker.
- Add the whole spices mentioned above one by one and allow them to splutter.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till golden.
- Once the onions are done add the paste and stir for few minutes until the raw smell disappears .
- Now add the vegetables and fry.
- Add rice and salt and fry for a while .
- Then add 1 cup of water and allow to boil.
- Once it starts boiling close the lid and cook for 2 whistles .
- Serve it with raita of your choice and enjoy for lunch,dinner,breakfast or brunch.
- Due to my earlier bad experience I did not soak or add hot water to basmati rice .. you can follow that method if you are comfortable with it.
- Basmati rice doesn’t require too much water so add water equal to rice you have used.
- Regular sona masoori rice too can be used ,in that case you have to add double the amount of water .ie 2 cups or a bit more to 1 cup of rice .
- If you are using fresh peas you can add directly,the dried peas has to be soaked over night .
- You can also use a handful of fresh mint leaves while grinding for the paste .