Bondi/ Banana Flower Sukke is relished by every GSB. Delicacies like sukke, sassam,cutlet are made with this.I learnt this recipe from my Mother in Law. It is a little different from the traditional recipe.
- Bondi -1
- Whole moong -1 handful and soaked for an hour
- Garlic pods – 3
- Coconut scraped- 1/4 cup
- Red chillies – 3
- jeera -1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds -1/2 tsp
- Jeera -1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves-1 sprig
- Chop Bondi and set aside.
- Heat oil add mustard seeds, jeera, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Once it splutters add the soaked moong and 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook till moong cracks.
- Once it cracks, add the bondi and cook covered.
- Add 1/2 cup more water and salt to taste.
- Meanwhile coarsely grind coconut, red chillies, jeera and garlic.
- Once the bondi is cooked and all the water has evaporated, Add the ground coconut mixture.
- Simmer and fry for a few minutes.
- Bondi sukke is ready to serve.
- To chop bondi,remove all the loose covers and the buds. Finally you will reach a firm part.
- Keep putting multiple slits on the bondi and start chopping.
- You can even devein the buds, chop and add them too.