We make this mixed vegetables pickles which can be made in a jiffy, from time to time. These are generally part of the menu in every Konkani wedding 🙂
The main feature of this pickle is that we use fresh vegetables like cauliflower, raw mango, carrots and ivy gourd (tendle) so that we get the crunchy taste of the vegetables when the pickle is made.
This pickle is a great accompaniment for an idli like dish we Konkanis make called Khottos. It is good with rice and dhal as well. Please remember that this pickle has a limited shelf life, perhaps 3-4 days if kept refrigerated, but the good news is that it gets finished off much before then.
I have given you the proportion for a small amount of this pickle (using 1 cup of mixed vegetable). You can build on this based on your requirement.
- Mixed vegetables, 1 cup
- Mustard seeds, 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Byadgi Chillies, 7
- Asafoetida ( Hing) , a large pinch
- Grated Ginger, 1/2 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Lemon, juice of one lemon
- Choose a selection of fresh vegetables ( if using cauliflower, pick out small florets) and wash them thoroughly. Keep aside.
- Finely chop the vegetables and smear a little salt
- Grind together the Byadgi chillies, mustard seeds and asafoetida, with a little water.
- Add salt to taste
- Mix the ground paste with the chopped vegetables and grated ginger
- Mix this thoroughly.
- Finally, squeeze the juice of one lime
- Mix well once again before serving