Pulichikeri as the name suggests are sour & spicy dishes which go well with rice .. We can prepare many varieties with many vegetables like raw mango , kuvale ( ash gourd) , mande (colocasia) , moggae ( coloured cucumber ) , , nonchambo ( brined mango ) , etc . Each gives its unique flavour to the dish ! they basically have a coconut based gravy & curds or buttermilk … Sour curds need not be wasted & can be used to make these tasty dishes !
- Raw mango chopped into square pieces – 1/2 cup .
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Red chilies – 3-4 as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sour buttermilk or curds – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds ,jeera oil & curry leaves for seasoning!
- Salt to taste
- Boil the mango pieces with a little salt in a little water .These mangoes were a little tender ,so I did not remove the skin . If you are using big ones . peel skin & cut into pieces
- Grind coconut , turmeric powder & chilies to a smooth paste
- Add this paste to the boiled mango
- Bring this mixture to a boil . Switch off now if you are adding curds . Add more salt if needed
- If you are adding buttermilk add it now and bring to a boil . then sim for a minute & switch off.
If you are adding curds , whisk it & then add to the mixture after it has cooled down a bit .
- Add seasoning of mustard seeds , jeera & curry leaves . the consistency of this dish should be thin .
|Enjoy with rice .
The same method is to be adopted for the other varieties too !
This is Mande Pulichikeri by Jayashri Shenoy
Pulchikeris taste best when made in khadikulle / stoneware